Thursday, September 23, 2010

BUNGALOW [lighting design process]

I figured through this design that I should consider the light fixture as my central piece in this space. It is the center of the room and the focus of this project - it is only fitting that it be designed first and provide the basis for the design of the rest of the room. Taking the pattern that I decided on, I converted it into a chandelier. I started playing with different aspects of the light in podium to get the desired effect for my design.


I was first playing with having it a horizontal hanging light, but I didnt really think that the shadows on the table spoke to centrality in that sense. The shadows on the wall did, but it wasnt quite the effect I was going for.


The light then got turned vertically so that it created a different pattern on the ceiling, walls, and table top. Definitely more CENTRALITY....


What effect does three hanging fixtures in one have? hmmm interesting appeal, but how about the lighting?

Here I simply changed the color of the fixture and it produced a warmer lighting. I thought this was interesting, seeing as its a dining room fixture. I then started playing with the color in relationship to the number of fixtures and light quality.

All three segments lit? or just the CENTRAL one?
CENTRAL one completely open without the back?

WOAH! look at the ceiling!!!! I love it, but its a little chaotic, time to tone it down some.

Playing with wall and ceiling color...


open again with the ceiling and wall color...
change up the openings? ewwww!
We might have a winner........



No comments: