Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Compare and Contrast (Rebecca Ladd)

My project of unity can be compared and contrasted to many of the other projects that my fellow students have designed. One that stood out to me the most though, was Rebecca Ladd’s. Her project was similar to mine in that the bamboo skewers were used not only as a structural tool, but also as something to space apart each module of our projects. We both effectively utilized repetition between each of our modules even though our modules were different. Rebecca chose to design hers based on a series of curved planes, crisscrossing and forming a ribbon candy like structure. I, however, played off a theme of triangles.
The proximity in my project was considered very carefully. I have a repetition of the spaces between each level of triangles as well as the spaces between the skewers themselves. This is not unlike Rebecca’s model. The space between her curves and skewers is also repeated throughout the project, giving it a certain sense of unity. Our projects are also similar in the position of the structure itself. Her structure is meant to sit on its side, as is mine. My project however, is meant to be viewed on its top point, with the pointy end of the skewers running out and upward. Hers sits more on the paper itself than relying on the support from her skewers. Though these are two very different projects, they have quite a few similarities, and I believe they are both successful solutions to this project.

No comments: