Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Critique 09-17-2008

Today’s critique was a very productive session for me. The small groups helped me gain a better, more personal connection to my project and understand everyone’s views on how to make my project better. I was given a few suggestions to accentuate the spiral aspect of my project: the outer spiral as well as the inner. One option would be to lift the cylinder in a way to where the inside complexity of the structure can be seen as well as the outer spiral. The main suggestion Tommy and my fellow students offered me was to not add to my project. I agreed with their suggestions because adding to the project in terms of my binding agent would detract from my design.

The main topic our small groups discussed today was Focus. We talked about variety reduction, and not putting too much emphasis on several different aspects of your design. It is better to reduce it to one central thing that you are trying to emphasize. In my project, it would be the inner and outer spirals – particularly the inner. Contrast was another important topic we discussed. Contrast can be a good thing if its incorporated into the project in a good quality way. As long as it isn’t a distracting thing, contrast can be a very good aspect of the design. 

No comments: